Once your plans for the wedding are already settled, one of the first organisational questions you face is the bridal dress design. That’s when you can delve into a joyful process of selecting the dress you have always dreamt of. However, not always the local assortment in your area can be extensive enough to fit exactly your tastes. Placing an order on sewing a custom dress in an atelier could solve the problem of dress uniqueness, but this option will still require your participation in fitting sessions. Considering that a wedding organisation process requires lots of your time, such distractions can be quite irritating. So, if you want to look one-of-a-kind, have a thoughtful immersion into the process and save your nerves, we would recommend you think about sewing the dress yourself.
How much time does the dress sewing process take when working alone?
Undoubtedly, that would be easier if you already have some basic skills in dress creation. However, even if you are not much experienced in sewing, such an idea doesn’t seem that weird as it could, say, a decade ago. These days, you can find lots of step-by-step guides and free video lessons on YouTube. The most important thing you should take care of with that scenario is time. Try to allocate as much of it as you need to get real satisfaction from the very dress creation process and not to be stressed out with the amount of pre-wedding preparations. So, starting your work beforehand – most preferably, several months before – is a rule of thumb.
Wedding dress style selection
The style you are planning to achieve depends on your skills as well. In case you are not much profound in sewing, you should better go for something easy to sew yet charming – in fact, there are quite many show-stopping options. At the same time, once you create a custom dress, you should enjoy the freedom of fitting it to your body shape. How to find the right proportions between your physique and the stylistic features of this or that dress? Here is a bunch of tips:
- Curvaceous and not very tall ladies should consider a floor-length dress in the ampere style. It will visually make a bride taller and more slender;
- Another remarkable idea for those with excessive weight is a gown featuring a straight silhouette without many additional details. Try to avoid volumetric skirts in that case.
- If your arms and shoulder lines can be characterised by your fiancé as delicate and inspirational, surprise him with a gown featuring straps that descend on your forearms.
- Are your legs long and elegant? Well, accentuate their beauty with a high hem design. Lucky you are.
- In case an “hourglass” is the best epithet that describes your shapes, try a mermaid-style dress.
- If your bust is quite small, select a bustier dress decorated in the décolleté zone.
- If vice versa, stop on the dress with a high neckline.
- If your height has always been your strength in the battle for men’s hearts, celebrate the victory in a luxurious and volumetric dress.
- The owners of curvy hips can relocate the focus of attention to a neck or chest. That can be a dress with a deep décolleté or open shoulders.
Do any of these options look suitable? If so, great! Let’s move on to the next stage, which is …
The selection of fabrics and trimmings
These days, you can find lots of luxury bridal fabrics at online fabric shops. If you are not completely sure about your sewing skills, think twice whether you need a costly fabric that will create a head-turning effect on your dress. As the matter of fact, they can be rather challenging to work with and are often intended for either professional dressmakers or sewing aficionados with certain experience.
When selecting fabrics, think about their combinations. For example, glossy silk satin can be perfectly mixed with matte fabrics. If you go for lace, this element will perfectly match any other kind of fabric.
Every type of fabric has certain characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. When selecting a bridal dress fabric, mind the wedding party style:
- Silk satin is a perfect choice for the parties in bohemian and aristocratic styles that are organised in a fashionable restaurant or on the territory of an old homestead;
- A chiffon wedding dress looks best in the picturesque outdoor locations, such as a lake- or riverside;
- A matt and lustrous design of taffeta makes it a right choice for winter ceremonies in a luxury banquette hall;
- What comes to lace or guipure, they are the universal options you will never regret absolutely regardless of the place.
An important role in wedding attire creation has a fabric colour. If you plan your wedding in a traditional style, go for classic pastel shades, from white to creme. In case you have decided to shock the public, select a dress with luxurious patches, prints and untraditional patterns. Most importantly, is that your attire looked appropriate and fit the atmosphere of the chosen festive occasion.
You should also consider decorative elements. Trimmings and other embellishments can be found in needlework shops and wedding salons. Select only high quality trimmings, as they are expected to stay on your dress during the sewing stage, wedding ceremony and banquet.
The decorative elements can be rhinestones, beads, brooch, embroidery, lace, decorative flowers, satin ribbons, etc. Note that all the elements should match each other. As a rule, two types of décor is well enough.
Dress creation technology
Before starting sewing it is necessary to learn all the stages. The following action sequence is the most preferable:
- Make a pattern using the measurements you have made before and apply it on the paper.
- Transfer all the pattern details onto fabric, trace its contour with a piece of soap taking into account the allowances for seams.
- First of all, cut the dress bodice and sew all the details together.
- After that, stick to the skirt sewing. Additionally, make a hem. To create a fluffy hem that can retain its shape, gather the fabric on the waist so that a few wedges would be made. Sew it around the waist and your hem will be ready. After that, attach the ready skirt to the hem.
- Sew all the dress parts together and decorate them with the selected trimmings.
What you should remember here, is that you shouldn’t be in a hurry. Go through several fitting sessions that will evaluate the future result and let you correct something. Start sewing only when all the preliminary measurements will be made.
As you see, creating a dress by yourself is real. However, you should have at least some basic skills, patience and attentiveness.
The wedding gown made by yourself will be original and unique. However, before starting sewing, evaluate your capabilities and give favour to the model that will emphasise your beauty and won’t be too difficult to make.